The Psychology of Buy In: The Art & Science of Achieving Adherence
So you’ve constructed the best rehab plan for your patient; an effective, systematic programme to enable a fast and effective return to normal function or sport; here comes the next challenge – persuading your patient to engage, the ‘buy-in’!
We all know the frustrations of people not achieving their goals because they haven’t adhered to their programme. Maybe they didn’t have the belief, the trust or the motivation, maybe they perceived their barriers as insurmountable, but the truth is, it’s all in the mind!
Led by Serena Simmons, a highly-esteemed Chartered Psychologist (with an impressive media profile to boot!) this course will introduce you to the key concepts of:
- motivational interviewing,
- mental toughness
- habit formation and
- nudge theory
and provide you with a range of psychological tools to maximise your patients’ engagement and adherence to their exercise and treatment programmes.
Rather than being overwhelmed by psychological theory, Serena expertly distills the most pertinent evidence into practical strategies and techniques that you can immediately apply to your practice!
In this course, you will discover the art and science of achieving buy-in. You will:
- Understand important psychological strategies related to motivational theory and it’s application
- Understand and identify barriers to engagement in your patient group(s)
- Leave with a tool kit to help you identify barriers and keep your patients engaged
- Feel confident in implementing key strategies to encourage your patients to adhere and stay in honest communication throughout their time working with you.
- Discover the power of the ‘why’ in shaping adherence
- Learn some magic wizardry 😉
Who’s it For:
- Physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, nurses & rehabilitation professionals
- Strength & Conditioning Coaches & those involved in exercise prescription
- Applicable to both upper and lower limb specialists
Serena has over 22 years of experience working in the field of psychology. She has been a Senior Psychology lecturer at Nottingham Trent University for the last 12 years and has concurrently run a private practice and Psychological Consultancy for over 10 years.
Her previous clients include the New Zealand Treasury, Department of Constitutional Affairs (UK), Eton College, HM Prison Service, Chamber of Commerce, Leeds Beckett University, MPs as well as sports teams and rehabilitating individuals.
Serena is a Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and a member of the Special Group in Coaching Psychology. Serena is highly regarded in her field and frequently features in major media, including ITV news, Sky News, BBC Radio 4, BBC Five Live, The Guardian, The Times, The Independent, The Daily Mail and the Conversation.
She is the founder founder of The Psychology School, a company which specialises in Peak Performance and Change.